- 8:15 a.m. to 3:10 p.m., Monday - Friday
- Extended Care is available before school from 7:15 a.m. and after school until 6:00 p.m.
- Students may enhance their learning experience through Special Programs
Building upon our mission of intellectual, social, emotional, physical and spiritual development, the St. Anne’s School First Grade Program continues with curricula influenced by the Project Approach in a workshop setting.
Core subjects are organized into workshops where individuals practice hands-on involvement with material in an active and creative setting. The school’s social curriculum is interwoven into all activities and is designed to build a variety of skills to promote a sense of inclusion, belonging and comfort. With the teacher serving as the facilitator, First Grade students are guided and encouraged to become fully involved in the learning process.
Students will learn techniques to:
- Appropriately manage new situations and transitions
- Recognize their own feelings and manage them appropriately
- Develop active listening skills
- Demonstrate self-direction and independence
- Recognize the feelings of others and respond appropriately
- Participate in the group life of the class
- Identify a problem and steps to resolve conflicts constructively
- Learn and follow classroom guidelines
- Respect and care for the classroom environment and materials
- Manage their personal clothing and belongings
- Show perseverance in pursuing tasks to completion
- Express their curiosities and learn investigative techniques to locate answers
A typical day in First Grade includes:
- Morning Meeting: a special time where children and teachers greet one another, share news, and discuss the upcoming day’s activities
- Instruction: Readers Workshop, Writers Workshop, Research Workshop, and Math Workshop occur daily. Science, Spanish, Art, Music, and Physical Education classes occur regularly during the week.
- Closing Circle: a time where children may report or reflect upon the day’s learning
Other activities that occur during the week
- Chapel: Lower and Middle School students gather for a 30 minute chapel once a week
- Buddy Time, Service Learning, and Second Step: First Grade students engage with their older buddies to do projects, art activities, literacy activities, or service in the community. Every other week, students use this time to practice
- Lower School Morning Meeting: on Fridays the Lower School students and teachers gather in the multipurpose room to have Morning Meeting all together. Students from each grade lead Morning Meeting throughout the month: First Graders lead the meeting on the first Friday of the month, Second Graders lead on the second Friday, Third Graders lead on the third Friday, and Fourth Graders lead on the Fourth Friday.